Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sculpting With Gears

Sculpting! New Mediums! Tape! Gears! Buttons! Owl! What is that thing?

As one of my most recently attempted mediums, my hand is weakest at clay. If you're not an artist, here's a translation: I'm new at clay.
That said, it would be pretty obvious that I'd be bad at it, right? Well, it seems that - thus far - this little guy is the only sculpture I've made that has survived. I tend to have issues with blending two peces - but we'll get to that later... for now, the intro.
INTRO:
The critter you see before you is what I have dubbed a Metail. Metail are unique clay-and-metal creations, each with their own flair and purpose. While every one of them is unique they all have the same chain-like tail - hence the name of the species. Each individual is named for it's own purpose. This one specifically is Host. Host is a kind and welcoming Metail. He loves throwing parties and seing people happy. Host can most frequently be seen chatting away in the center of large groups of friends.

Theme-
With a mix of critter, alien, steampunk, and something else, the 'Metail' species created here is a cute little mix of metallic and organic.
5/5

Content-
Shark teeth and a gear on the shoulders, leaves for ears, a "belly-button", and gears for eyes, all mixed nicely in a simple animal-esque form solidly into a unique creature of pure imagination.
5/5

Originality-
While there have certainly been many clay "critters", the pseudo-mechanical touch really adds originality.
5/5

Execution- 
While most of the rest of the sculpture is wonderful, here is where the fault lies. While it is noted that I am quite new at sculpting, there is still much more attention to detail that could have been payed. The figure of Host is cute, but notably warped at places - mainly the feet. The symmetry of said feet would have added more unity to the piece. 
While it may not be clear in the photo, the clay is unpainted - therefore dirty. The white baking clay picks up much dirt and smudges in the sculpting process and can leave quite a muddled look. That is what happened here.
3/5

Total-
4/5 - Great


Your turn! Critique, yell, bash, rant all you want - that's what this blog is for!

- The Teenage Artist

4 comments:

  1. Nice :D I love everything you did on your species.

    My hands are weaker at clay T.T

    ReplyDelete
  2. practice, practice, practice! But for your first "successful" piece I think it's great! I think the warped feet just add to the creatures appearance. I love the addition of the gears and the tail especially! All in all I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talented. God has indeed blessed you with so many special talents. I can only look on in envy, as if I attempted to mold anything in clay it would look like Ray Charles tried to sculpt it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow!!this guy is just so cute,and sculting is also so fun...!
    the god of hatena sculted a little devil TuT mmh was it on purpose?XD

    ReplyDelete