Thursday, December 8, 2011


I decided I'd start off with something old. This is an example of one of those ideas that just never really got off the drawing board. The story was about a race of sentient ferrets (think the Redwall Saga). The character here, Kestrel, was to fall in love with a woman-ferret who he may not have, as she is a royal of the rival kingdom. So instead of him progressing with his life, he obsesses over the woman, until he drives himself mad. His inner demons then become materialized in a insanity-driven hallucination - seen here.

Now about the piece itself. Like I said before, this is old. It was the first bits of art done on my shiny new Wacom Bamboo tablet I got for my birthday. So you could argue it's crappyness is due to lack of practice with the new material, slash, getting used to the program. But I think I'll step away from that excuse and look at the art itself.
I admit that this was my first time drawing a ferret (can you tell?) and so I was not quite sure on how to approach anthropomorphizing an animal I'd never even worked with before. Did I succeed? Maybe.
While there's no doubt I am mediocre where ferrets are concerned, I find many other issues with my work itself. While, again, lack of practice could be used as an excuse for this, I find the shading... blotchy... It's half-hearted to say the least. Also, I'm not so sure if it's visible on this size image, but both the highlights in the eyes, and on his broach are on the wrong sides. What the heck?
The anatomy was botched, the subject matter was flawed to begin with, the shading looks like smeared make-up, the highlights are all wrong, ... and that's supposed to be fire on the right side over there.

Now, with all the negative feedback I'm giving, does that mean I hate this? Not at all!
I'm proud of this little fail-hole. It was the first major work I ever did digitally, and I enjoyed making it at the time. While it pales in comparison to the things I've done more recently, I still rather like it.

 This is the part you come in. What is your opinion of this bit of art? Are my critiques sound, or am I too harsh? Give your own critiques, comments, trolling, hatemail, ect.

- The Teenage Artist

No comments:

Post a Comment