Saturday, December 31, 2011



In case you've been wondering: Yes, that image in the background is mine. Here it is.
Based after the song I was listening to for five hours straight while drawing this, The title of this fun little bit is Taste of the Milky way, and if features my wolf character Vesper. Yes, I am a wolf artist. Deal with it.
Don't worry, not all my characters are this exotic. Actually, most of them are quite visually bland. I make up for that with the characters themselves.

What to say about this? Well, first off it took me five hours to turn out this dang thing. Five hours, eight layers, some iced tea, and Galaxies by Owl City on repeat is what it took to make this, and for that I am proud.
Color wise, I really think the image fits together. Vesper is mainly blue, and so is the background. The stars are there and they stand out, but they aren't garish. Since most of the space is blue, the whites and yellows really pop out at me. The shading is near perfect, with a couple flaws on the face and one spot at the chest. The forced perspective on the paw I'm proud of, and I really like the glow on that ring.

So with all the things I like, what is there for me to hate on?
Several things, actually. Something you might notice quickly is the wacked out proportions of Vesper's face and head. While if you were to take each piece individually, the proportions are perfect, as a whole, they're flawed. What do I mean? Well.
The forehead. It's huge. The reason actually has its base in my own technique. See, to draw the head I use base construction lines that I'll erase later. For the head, that's a circle. However, I have a really bad issue with not being able to figure out the angles of the circle itself. Oftentimes I rely far to heavily on the curve of the circle and treat it as the actual finished lines rather than a guide. This is something I'm trying to break myself of and may have started to conquer with my new style (to be shown at a later date).
Second of the proportion issues is the eyes and mouth. I'm trying to work with better angles when it comes to canine snouts, but as you can tell here, it din't quite work out as planned. The eyes are askew and off center, the mouth is curved incorrectly, the jaw is not where it should be, and the shading is too dark.

While I do love this piece, I feel it has some core issues that take it far from what it could be if I had payed attention.

Now it's your turn. How do you think I screwed up on this? Am I right or wrong? How could it be better improved, and is there anything that I left out in the review?

- The Teenage Artist

1 comment: